Friday, December 17, 2010

Memories I May Have Had (Sister: One)

First Draft

Memories I May Have Had

Sister (One)

She sent me a text
to ask me why
I only have a brother
when I write.

As if
there were some
intention behind that.
Even though
the time period involved
would make her three
or four. Five at the outside,
and the only memories I have
of her at that age are spotty at best.

In pictures she has bangs
(a variation of the haircut
we boys had,
the bowl but longer on the side,
framing her smiling face
like a cartoon of a smiling
little girl with an inverted parabola
for hair).

She sent me a text
to ask me why
I only have a brother
when I write.

But my memories of her
are so entwined with
his that when I write of him
I'm implicitly writing of her:
coming home from the hospital
and my displacement from my bedroom,
a thirteen year diaspora
wherein I shared a room with the same boy
who had stormed into the room that had been mine
before it was hers
and stomped my lincoln log house,
razed it, clear cut logs scattered across the ground.

And then she was there,
pink from the hospital,
in a basket in the living room,
and we wondered where she'd come from,
and how,
and watched her grow
until one day she was in college
and we were in our late twenties

and she texted me
to ask why
when I write
I only have a brother

the same brother
who was my partner
in crime, when she cried
and cried
half the day
and we reached into the medicine cabinet,
looking for something to stop the crying,
mother was doing who knows what
and finding the Ambesol that we somehow knew
was for soothing the pain of her teething jaws,
reached over the side of the crib and rubbed it
over her bleeding gums and went back to our room.
but the crying didn't stop so reaching over her crib
again we rubbed it into her torn flesh
and again, squeezing the tube until
mother found us
and put a stop to our well intentioned overdose.

this poem is for the sister
that texted me,
wondering why
when I write
I only have a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment