Monday, January 3, 2011

Across the Twitterverse

I'll grow my hair long now;
stop shaving,
sleep in and drink coffee
late into the morning.

I'll wear flannels
over big belt buckles
and Levi's jeans,
and engineer's boots.

I'll listen to the music of now,
the songs of escape,
the death of the suburbs,
the death of the city,
the slow death of hope itself.

I'll listen to the music of then,
The Byrds, Dylan and the Dead,
grow my hair long,
stop shaving, and wonder
at these ten years.

The music of joy,
of glittering lakes
and trees alive
and starscapes,
the swelling endless now.

I'm done with the lie;
done with no hope
and no future,
the tomorrow they promised us.

We dream of escape,
of Laurel Canyon hipsters
with headbands
and people parties.

We dream of Greenpoint,
Williamsburgh, Park Slope,
and Prospect Heights,
of a local food revolution.

We hope.
We pray that
the social network
will save us
from ourselves.

But there is no way forward
that does not sacrifice
the fullness of this life;
we, of a type,
imagined,
and sold--
tribe by tribe,
until the idea
seems our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment