Friday, January 14, 2011

Teleoeschaton

I think in circles,
and wonder,
what must it be like,
to think in straight lines,
A to B to C.

Crossing west fourth,
skipping lake edge
of gray slush
under the dull shine
of high sodium.

Back where we began.
Dating the same girl.
Feet wet from misplaced winter gray.
Working the same job.
Watching the same shows
on television.
Reading the same poets
and looking for more,
trying to make something for myself
as I've tried before,
kept awake by two sirens--
one the call of a regular salary,
the other, ten hours of no-thought,
five days a week.

I've written for six months,
by force of will,
or circumstance?
To what end?

I think in words,
and words,
it's nearly endless
in bed,
longing for an end,
but there is no end
to this thinking in words.

Let us study the poets,
the philosophers,
turning symbols into words.
Study the scientists,
the mathematicians,
decipherers of those symbols,
Study the painters,
who let the symbols be.

I read the word,
eschatology.
And its everywhere now,
in Wallace and Levertov,
in crazy Terence McKenna,
and the X-Files I'm watching
again, completing a 13 year cycle,
which might mean something--
that dread solipsism,
the word creeping in,
everywhere I look,
like the distant rumble of trains
as the word is read,
and the flickering of lights
as my beloved walks beneath them.

I will never understand her:
on my way to work,
she said she would get high,
and listen to music,
and light candles,
and so I asked her,
promise me this:
look at the clock,
when you think fifteen minutes have passed,
and that night I got a text--
“I'm sorry to say, but time is passing,
as it always does.”

I look into her eyes,
and see myself reflected there,
and hope it's proof
that she is there,
watching me,
and that I am here,
being watched,
and hope that
being watched
is proof enough,
to know I am.
To know we are,
and never mind the end times,
once around,
in fullness,
together,
will be
our lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment