Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Autumn Sky Poetry Submission Revision

I received some generous criticism from an editor with whom I had what may have been the first ever twitter feud involving an online poetry journal. I tried a couple of major cuts with "Sylvia," which I think improve the poem greatly. I made a minor revision to the last line of "Sundries." As for "Your English Background," and "The Gift," they were described as, "more like descriptive lists than poems to me. There was no human connection, no point. They're lovely exercises in the use of language and imagery, but I'm usually looking for something more." 
I agree, to some extent with "The Gift." I'm not entirely happy with the way the poem turned out. I'll describe my intent, only because this blog is an exercise in revision and feedback and, as a think I say somewhere in the blog "description," an "online workshop." So this is the part where I get to defend my work, explain my intent, and see if it resonates or not. I have no problem accepting a poem as failed, if the intent is lost, or so vague that the reader draws nothing from it. 
My intent with "The Gift" was too address my fear of giving too much of myself to Kristina. It's about the parts of myself that I'm afraid to let go of. It's about giving myself to her, but telling her that there are parts of me that she can never touch. Maybe that's using poetry as therapy, just so much sorting through personal garbage that it doesn't resonate on a public level.
As far as "Your English Background," I personally think there is a very clear narrative arc--the cycle of nature, of land shaped by man and nature's struggle to reclaim lost ground. The femininity of the earth. My fiancée's English background and how that ancient history informs her present in small ways and not so small ways. Our disconnect from our past. Again, that's my intention, but if it's not clear ... of course, it doesn't have to be completely clear--poetry is subjective, but if there's no emotional pull, it doesn't work. 
I've left the two poems I just described as they are. I'm interested in other people's considerations/feedback. If you'd like to compare the previous versions of "Sylvia" and "The Gift," I'll post them as a comment.
Your English Background

You, the land.
Razed and plowed,
deep furrows running through
where forest once stood.

And now,
second growth
in scattered poles--
bracken, peat and bog,
high winds of highlands.

You bear the heft
of Sarsen,
dragged across the windy plain,
land shaped like blue stone,
bit by bit
until

having chipped away,
the edges no longer sharp
but shorn by patient hands,
you gave witness,
watchman like,
ghastly Cerberus;
Avon, Lethe or Styx,
no matter:

You,
this foreign land.

Shaped by man,
reclaimed at last,
sprung
from your forever womb.


The Gift

I am everything
inside this box,

felt lined,
blood red.

Lacquered mahogany,
fancifully etched

by some careful hand
with images of swirling demons

beneath
a veil of mist.

You have the key,
but you dare not open the box.

You the disease,
You the cure.

Pandora,
I am what's inside.

But you can not look;
only cherish this box:

intricately carved,
polished, finished to a high gloss

that blood red hinting
at depths and depths.

You have the key;
you have the box.

I am inside--
patience.

You, the disease.
You, the cure.

Hope
is what's left behind.

Sylvia

Sylvia Plath,
I went in for Ariel,
but the copy in stock was hardcover, glossy,
and there next to it were your collected works,
1956-1963,
poems you’d written right up until that final cold February,
just days before my birthday,
that you stuck your head in the oven.

You were thirty.
You had two children.
Your husband left you for another woman
because you couldn't fix yourself
and when she couldn't fix herself
he didn't leave
but she went out
just as you did.

I try to calculate how may poems you wrote
between twenty six and thirty one
and how many I've written up to now,
and how they’d stack up.

Ted Hughes said Sylvia never scrapped a poem once written.
She approached her writing with an artisan dedication--
if she couldn't make a table, she’d settle for a chair,
an ottoman, an end table. Sylvia Plath?

And for me,
Poems like whittled spoons for stirring beans over camp fires;
Bent brass door handles fitted over the steel drum body of a bullet smoker;
Glued together mugs full of pencils and wooden beads,
an old triumph badge and bent safety pins.
A drop in the ocean.
No more. No less.

Sundries

The orchid on the table is dying;
shriveled leaves curling back into itself.

Someone could have changed the water,
but there were other things to attend to:

the dishes in the sink, for instance.
The hairball in the middle of the bedroom.

Visiting friends in the country,
and wondering at the lack of clutter in their homes:

"They have more space," I said.
and I meant it then, but now wonder.

We could have that space, if we wanted it.
but there is a pushing against,

and the space between
can not be filled.

Things are crowded out,
little things--

the pile of clothes at the foot of our bed,
the flower, curled and dry on the table.

Longing to be filled,
we push towards each other,

only to be repelled
by the space between.

The orchid on the table is dying,
a sort of beauty in its curling leaves.

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia

    Sylvia Plath,
    I went in for Ariel,
    but the copy in stock was hardcover, glossy,
    and there next to it were your collected works,
    1956-1963,
    poems you’d written right up until that final cold February,
    just days before my birthday,
    that you stuck your head in the oven.

    You were thirty.
    You had two children.
    Your husband left you for another woman
    because you couldn't fix yourself
    and when she couldn't fix herself
    he didn't leave
    but she went out
    in a similar manner.

    I try to calculate how may poems you wrote
    between twenty six and thirty one
    and how many I've written up to now,
    and how they’d stack up.

    I wonder at the backhanded compliments I’ve received over the years:
    from Devon, “Chris could cook circles around you,
    but he’s unreliable. I need someone I can count on.”

    Ted Hughes said Sylvia never scrapped a poem once written.
    She approached her writing with an artisan dedication--
    if she couldn't make a table, she’d settle for a chair,
    an ottoman, an end table. Sylvia Plath?

    What does that leave me?
    Poems like whittled spoons for stirring beans over camp fires?
    Bent brass door handles fitted over the steel drum body of a bullet smoker?
    Glued together mugs full of pencils and wooden beads,
    an old triumph badge and bent safety pins?

    I might as well stick my head in an oven at that rate.
    Just to see, of course--they’re all electric anyway.
    It’s my vanity that keeps me from the full go--
    is there any dignified way?
    Chicken legs at obscene angles, half in half out the oven door?
    The crushing splay of rushing pavement and the gawking crowds?
    The liquid evacuation following the kicked out chair?
    The choking blue, the foaming mouth, the aspiration of vomit?

    No, no,
    I won’t be convinced--
    just stick to silly love poems,
    free form literalism
    and call it a hobby.

    Nevermind.
    A drop in the ocean
    with no room for more.

    Sundries

    The orchid on the table is dying;
    shriveled leaves curling back into itself.

    Someone could have changed the water,
    but there were other things to attend to:

    the dishes in the sink, for instance.
    The hairball in the middle of the bedroom.

    Visiting friends in the country,
    and wondering at the lack of clutter in their homes:

    "They have more space," I said.
    and I meant it then, but now wonder.

    We could have that space, if we wanted it.
    but there is a pushing against,

    and the space between
    can not be filled.

    Things are crowded out,
    little things--

    the pile of clothes at the foot of our bed,
    the flower, curled and dry on the table.

    Longing to be filled,
    we push towards each other,

    only to be repelled
    by the space between.

    The orchid on the table is dying.
    who will take care of it this time?

    ReplyDelete