Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Our House

I woke up late this morning, my head pounding with the infection that so often takes up residence in my sinuses, despite the surgery, compounded probably by the exposed nerves of my second molar, top right (the root canal is on Friday; I've given up a chance to road trip through the south west to LA to do the responsible thing and fix my tooth).

I drank coffee at the coffee drinking table, and ate a bowl of flax and amaranth corn flakes, sweetened with Agave nectar, because I used to be punk rock, but now I shop at Whole Foods and Fairway, and take Fish Oil supplements, in spite of my lack of steady income.

The siren call of which I fight every day. Health insurance that isn't Cobra. Money to spare every week. Money to save, if I can figure out a way not to spend it all on toys from Apple, on accessories for my Weber Smokey Mountain, on hydraulic fluid electricity generating bicycle trainers, on new motorcycles.

I read in the New Yorker that a social gathering once a month brought an increase in happiness equivalent to doubling your salary. I would love to believe that, deep deep deep within me.

I would not have this time at my desk, surrounded by books and pictures and two computers and cats and music and long leisurely mornings writing and drinking coffee and watching tv, and running errands if it comes to it. I wouldn't have my writing group.


I wouldn't have the fear of where the next job is coming from and will I make my rent and keep my health insurance.

But I spit poetry and prose, when I write, I do. Less so when I'm working, granted--then I wake up and I do my ablutions and work and come home and read and sleep and watch television on the internet.

But when I'm off...

I said I wouldn't explain my poems, but this is my poem. All of it.


Our House


When we grow up
there will be a place for us.

Wooded--not quite suburban
but near enough (for jobs, and such).

Birds through morning quiet,
rain on skylights. Dark coffee.

A clearing with a house,
and outbuildings.

And stepping onto the porch
in my long johns,

and boots open at the top,
I watch the air cloud at my mouth.

The day begins,
in our place.

But first,
a way to get there.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Read some Franzen. 2. Rewrite. 3. Read some more Franzen. 4. Rewrite again. 5. Read some Patti Smith. 6. Rewrite, then done.

    ReplyDelete